Bacolod comes from a Maranao word that means “rock”. This maybe because, Bacolod is a rocky place, but the Bacolodians believe that the “rock” is the symbol of the Christian Messiah that helps them achieve their slogan “Padayon Pagsidlak Bacolod”.
The municipal government was organized on July 23, 1956, by virtue of R.A. 1415, signed and approved sometimes in May 10, 1956, by the late President Ramon Magsaysay. The creation of the Municipality of Bacolod was sponsored by then Congressman Domocao Alonto, when Lanao Province was not yet divided into two (2) with Kolambugan as its mother municipality. It started to operate sometime in July 23, 1956 with the late Nolan J. Antonio as the first Mayor.
It is endowed with rich natural resources. The Pagayawan Waterfalls is known for its vast potentials to generate electricity that can cater not only the Province of Lanao del Norte, but also with its three (3) neighboring provinces. It has three (3) attributary falls that is suitable as tourist attraction not only in the municipality, but also in the whole province of Lanao del Norte. The pristine and scenic beauty of these waterfalls is awe inspiring to behold. Many foreign investors have already come and manifested their desire to harness it.
The municipality is proud of its historical past. Unknown to the people outside, this town was not spared by the insatiable appetite for conquest by the Spanish conquestadores. They have constructed a fort, (Fort Al Monte, in honor of Admiral Pedro Al Monte, a Spanish soldier who conceived the building of forts in different strategic locations in the archipelago), in barrio Liangan, now Liangan East, through forced labor rendered by captured Filipinos. It served as their stronghold against their enemies, however, the relentless onslaught waged by the natives, with the aid of the American soldiers, finally, repulsed the foreign invaders. During the Japanese occupation, the Nipongo soldiers utilized the fort as their citadels against Filipino guerillas but were then recaptured.